AudioEnglish.org Online Dictionary
Welcome to the AudioEnglish.org dictionary, probably the most complex and user-friendly dictionary on the web, 100% free!
The dictionary currently includes 155,327 entries (words and collocations), 117,597 senses and 207,016 word-sense pairs.
Browse the dictionary:
WORD OF THE DAY:
DEAD HAND OF THE PAST
Dictionary entry overview:
• DEAD HAND OF THE PAST (noun)
The noun DEAD HAND OF THE PAST has 1 sense:
1. the oppressive influence of past events of decisions
Familiarity: DEAD HAND OF THE PAST used as a noun is very rare.
How to use the dictionary:
There are two ways can use the dictionary: you can either browse all entries starting with a given letter (just click on the letters above) or you can search for a word or collocation using the search box on the right.
How to search the dictionary:
• Double-click any word on any page to look it up in the dictionary.
• For best results, search for a single word.
• Usually, you should search for the base form of a word, for example drop (not dropped or dropping), good (not better) and so on.
• Searches are case-insensitive.
The dictionary is based on the WordNet Electronic Lexical Database.
WordNet 2.1 Copyright 2005 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
Web Interface Copyright 2000-2006 by AudioEnglish.org. All rights reserved.